Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tuesday's Child.

It's been a busy afternoon, in a slow sort of way. Aimee and I enjoyed some yard work while the boys played in the cool of the morning. Her roses are ready for the promised rains to continue. Brian and Chari await imminent closing on their new home just two month before their first anniversary. Paul will be home soon from his second day back at work after four weeks of family leave to bring Gates home. I can smell the cornbread baking alongside the seasoned chicken and the little guys are snoozing and expected to be up any minute. I have a short time to reflect and connect with you all on where we are as a family this week. I share these details because I love you all and I know God's heart for the families like ours in transition. I have often asked my Lord to make me an encourager, I see this blog as one of his opportunities in my life.

For my precious Mammas to newly adopted children who are home and who are still waiting: I offer my heart and my unlimited support to you. It's not only our new children alone who are recreated in this union but all of us begin again... and again and again. Each new day holds the promise of a miracle.

As for the Rudd family. We are doing very well. Sleep is still at a premium but Paul going back to work full time has required he get his eight hours. (Have I mentioned he drives a 45ft tractor trailer in Naples?) I've willingly been taking the night watch. I am so thankful that Gates doesn't suffer with night terrors every night the way poor Bridger did for years. He wakes often but settles back down with a few soft words and some pats on the back or a leg massage.

I know he's home but I'm still missing him in some ways. I long to meet the child he's never had the chance to be. I search his eyes and face for a glimpse of his passions, his interests, his personal preferences or anything to introduce me to the child that is still waiting... inside Him. Today I rejoiced in several of those glimpses. He is begining to interact more with his environment and his family. Case in point. Gates likes to watch the tour de france while sitting on his bike with his helmet on. Gates doesn't like commercials when he's riding up a mountain. Gates loves bubble baths but can't stand having bubbles on his hands so I stand ready with the dry towel tub side. Gates likes it when we mimic his Chinese songs in our attempts to share with him. He is annoyed when we say, "Ni Hao." rather than "Hi."

In case you haven't noticed, Gates is funny. We really enjoy 'funny' in our family. I think 'wit' is one of our first hopes among our extended family when someone new comes in. Funny kids are more interesting through the terrible twos and know it all fives. Throughout life, funny children brighten the clouds and lighten the load. I SO look forward to watching him open up in the warm sunshine of acceptance and attention, here at home.

No comments: