Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Gates the Great Debater

Gates is getting sassy. He likes to offer casual comments or feigned concern in response to daily instructions. Case in point I pick out a shirt and offer it to him, we are in a hurry and I am attempting to put on a 'relaxed' front because my sensitive older Son reacts like a donkey in a bridle and 'sits' at the first indication of haste. Gates is on to me, as he usually is. "Mamma," he says as he shakes his head to the offered t shirt, "I don't think so." I ask, "Why?" He pulls an excuse that worked last week when he didn't want to wear overalls out of his hat. "Because it falls down." I pointed out, "Honey, the straps on the overalls slide down like this and I know that annoyed you but this shirt fits you just fine and it cannot fall down." Now he gives me the Gates Rudd equivalent of digging in his heels and puts four fingers in his mouth and mumbles, "Nope."
I ask why again. Not because I am encouraging his resistance but I am fascinated by his grasp of the language to the point of challenging me to a debate and I'm frankly curious what else he may bring to the table. "Well Mamma. I can't" "Oh, you can't put this shirt on? Son, please take your fingers out of your mouth to speak. What is the problem with putting this shirt on?" Bridger is dressed, shoes on and aggravated with the delay and spouts. "Gates! What is the problem?" Gates shouts, "Bridger I can't wear that shirt. The color is not a bicycle." I'm laughing by now and brother states flatly, "Bicycle is not a color Gates." Gates says, "Yes it is! Bicycle is orange!" So, I went back to his dresser and pulled out the bicycle shirt which is of course orange and he squealed, "Good job Mamma! I'm so proud of you!" Then he said, "I don't like these shoes."

1 comment:

Kat said...

Okay, that is just SO cute!