Friday, June 25, 2010

He remembers too.

It's so hard to believe that this time last year, Paul and Gates were navigating the troubles and challenges of medical procedures, government interviews and all of the drama that goes with it all in China. Father's Day Gates was in Daddy's arms and July 1, they landed at home here in Ft. Myers. Tearful family waiting with baited breath for their first glimpse, video cameras rolling, channel 2 news and Next Level Church friends holding signs, precious family in international adoption watching pensively and compassionately and our Keller Williams Realty waving tiny American flags. Oh God, it's still just to amazing to remember it all. Lord you are mighty!

This afternoon, Paul and I were reflecting on where we all were a year ago.., how much has changed. Gates went into the bedroom and pulled on his Elmo backpack that Daddy gave to him that first day in China filled with little treasures: coloring book, a mini tonka truck from brother, his blankie, cherrios and sippy cups. He still keeps them all, along with a stuffed camel Paul bought for him in Lanzhou in his 'treasure box' on top of his little dresser. The first few months, he hid food in there and a zip lock bag and anything else he thought was cool that he found.., like a little myna bird.

Anyway, I'm off down another path, he put his back pack on and he came into the living room with us and I asked, "Where are you goin' Honey?" He said, "I finding Mamma!" I choked a little, not sure where we were going with that and asked softly, "Where will you find Mamma?" He ran into our room, and came out with a pair of my shoes on and then he clacked across the floor and threw himself into my arms and cried, "I missed you Mamma!" I hugged him tight and said, "I missed you too baby. But now you will always be with me." He replied. "I missed you. Can I have bubble gum?" So, subject quickly changed and he's back to bouncing around on the furniture and I'm overwhelmed with how brave he is and how incredibly strong to allow himself to glimpse the lonliness and then redirect himself so effectively. I have so much to learn.., and loving my Boys is teaching me so much. Happy Family Day Gates! We are SO proud of you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Karrie...
Rejoicing with you all that Gates has been home ONE YEAR...so glad he is doing so well!! Thank you for posting I do think of you life has just kept me hopping and I can't keep up with relationships like I would LIKE!!:\
Zak is doing well...just still working thru medical:(...not the diagnosis we had hoped for but it will be ok by HIs grace!! God is so faithful giving us strength for each day...how we Praise Him!!
May His blessings be yours!!
Love to you!!
LaurelLee Skiles

Anonymous said...

I am sorry I think I forgot to mention how dear he is and SO cute...what a sweetheart:)
LaurelLee

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Gates! What an exciting time for your family, Karrie.

Thank you so much for your encouragement in our adoption journey. It's meant so much!

Lisa T.