Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Go Ahead, Get Your Hopes Up!

Families like ours seem to bring out odd responses from people at times. Not every body gets us, we accept that. But what's with all of the hostility?

An accusation hurled at me recently is one that my optimism is insincere and that my faith is a 'fantasy world' where I refuse to take responsibility for myself and my role in the reality of this world. Ummm. Whaaat? Seriously? My responsibility for my role in reality? C'mon.

To me, my faith is simply my hand firmly grasped within the big, strong hand of the God of all Creation who for reasons known only to him, chooses to love me. My hope is in His reality, not in the limited views of mere mortals. Or as defined in textbooks on abnormal psychology.

I think I have an awareness of the difficulties of living in this world. People go hungry. Children die without ever knowing a loving embrace. Cancer continues. Tornadoes destroy and floods devastate. Wounded hurt wounded and Killers kill.

However, hostility has never helped any of that go away. You hating me for my love is not a shock to me. Your views are not unique. Your accusations toward me are identical to the ones hurled at others for thousands of years. Others like me, who trust God and try hard to love others.

I am so thankful that my hope does not rest in my ability to maintain, achieve or even experience perfection, but instead my hope is anchored to the reality of God's plan for my future and Jeremiah 33:3 says that He knows the plans that He has for me, to prosper me and not to harm me, to give me hope.., and a future."

Somewhere in every day, we make a difference in the lives of the people around us. We can be intentional or careless with that opportunity, but it's there anyway. For those who read this post I want you to know that you personally are relevant and precious to the God who knew you before you even knew yourself and his arms are open wide to encourage you or welcome you or comfort you right now. His ability to overwhelm us with his devotion toward us is beyond any need we have. He is the only Daddy I've ever known and it seems wherever I am in my life his strong shoulder is right where my head drops. Hope is for circumstances to change. You don't have to hope God loves you. KNOW God loves you.., he is closer than your heartbeat. Rest in that truth:-)

I tried to be calm with my accuser, it made her madder still and meaner. For a few days her hateful words rang in my ears. But they faded in the love that surrounds me. It may not heal between us, but I remain hopeful:-)

No comments: